HCH offers links to numerous searchable databases listed below.
Please note: these links will launch new browser windows, taking you outside the Henry Carter Hull Library website. You may simply close the window when finished.
by ProQuest Full text articles from: Christian Science Monitor, Hartford
Courant, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, New York Times Book Review,
New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post.
You may also search the newspapers individually by clicking on the links below:
- The Hartford Courant 1992-Current Complete full-text content of local and regional news, including community events, schools, politics, government policies, cultural activities, local companies, state industries, and people in the community.
- The Historical Hartford Courant Search the earliest years of the Hartford Courant from the first issue published in October 1764 through 1922. Find articles and images that relate CT and national history.
- Christian Science Monitor (1987-)
- International Newspapers Only
- London Times (1985-)
- Major Newspapers (Christian Science Monitor, London Times, New York Times)
- New York Times (1985-)
- Wall Street Journal (1984-)
- Washington Post (1987-)
- U.S. Newspapers Only (provided by Gale)
How can I search a particular title within all these databases, for example, Consumer Reports Magazine?
Click HERE to search for a magazine, journal or newspaper by title.
Ancestry Library Edition
Ancestry® Library Edition has unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas. The Ancestry Library Edition collection has approximately 4,000 databases including key collections such as U.S. Federal Census images and indexes from 1790 to 1930; the Map Center containing more than 1,000 historical maps; American Genealogical Biographical Index (over 200 volumes); Daughters of the American Revolution Lineage (over 150 volumes); The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1630; Social Security Death Index (updated monthly); WWI Draft Registration Cards; Federal Slave Narratives; and a strong Civil War collection. Ancestry Library Edition updates continually, with more indexes and original images added all the time. Click here for a tutorial.
AtoZ Travel Database: 202 World Cities, 10,000 photos, Concise Overviews, Easy to Navigate,
City Maps, City Facts, Currency , Telephone, Electrical, Country Overview, Travel Resources
Dialing Guides • Health & Medical, Women Travelers, Emergencies
Search all libraries in Connecticut at once for books, journals, DVDs, music and more. iConn is a service of the Connecticut State Library and your local library in partnership with the Department of Higher Education.
- Academic Onefile Contains peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources, including NYTimes from 1995.
- Biography & Genealogy Master Research famous people, living and deceased, from all over the world
- Biography Resource Center Gale's Biography Resource Center. Search over 300,000 people in current or past history from around the world.
- Readers Advisory What should you read next? Get expert advice on classic & current fiction and non-fiction books for all age levels.
- Business Insights: Essentials Analyze key metrics and compare companies and industries using our company profiles, proprietary private company database, and fundamentals comparison tool. Develop lists of key competitors by industry or location, and sort them according to revenue and other metrics using the company finder. Quickly modify, filter, or export your list.
- Commercial Record - Real Estate & Credit Records for Connecticut & Rhode Island. Online access at the HCH Library, please ask for assistance.
- Connecticut History Online- The CHO website currently contains about 14,000 images of
- photographs, drawings and prints on Connecticut history which may be searched or browsed in a variety of ways, including by keyword, subject, creator, title and date.
- ConsumerReports.org - Research your big money purchases before you make the plunge.
- Discovering Collection: Designed For: Middle School and up. Need information about People, Places and Events? Search for essays, critical analyses, biographies, timelines, primary source documents, and multimedia files. Areas of study include geography (cultures and countries), literature, history, science and health.
- Expanded Academic ASAP 1989 - Current. Search all subjects from arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology. Access scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers -many with full text and images. For beginners and the experienced researcher.
- E-Reference Books from Gale Reference Library: Middle School and Up. Search the contents of more than 60 online reference books in arts, biography, health, history, law, literature, religion, science, health, history and social science. Subject areas include: Arts, Biography, History, Law, Literature, Multicultural Studies, Nation and World, Religion, Science, and Social Science.
- Educator's Reference Collection Created especially for professionals in education. Find articles about school law, child & adolescent psychology, human development, substance abuse, health/ nutrition/ fitness, learning disabilities, and more.
- Encylopedia of Connecticut History - The Connecticut Humanities Council created this directory of the state’s history resources for teachers, students, researchers and others who want to better understand the world around them through the stories of our past.
- Expanded Academic ASAP Access scholarly journals, news magazines, and newspapers - many with full text and images! 21,713,801 articles available.
- General Reference Center Gold 1980 - Current Use this general interest/business database to search magazines, newspapers, and reference books for information on business, industry, current events, the arts, science, entertainment, etc.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library Search the contents of multiple science, health, and history reference books.
- GreenFILE offers well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done at each level to minimize these effects.
- History Resource Center, U.S.A. Collection: Covering U.S. history from colonial times to the present, this is a collection of articles from journals, magazines and newspapers; reference works; primary source documents; timelines; historical maps and atlases, and audio and video clips of historic speeches and events.
- History Resource Center, World Collection: Extensive coverage of the 20th century, and also covers the Ancient Mediterranean, Ancient Near East and Asia as well as the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the modern Middle East and Latin America. Moves chronologically from antiquity to the present and geographically around the globe, the events that define, inform and shape world history are covered with a sense of balance. This is an integrated collection of articles from journals, magazines and newspapers; reference works; primary sources; a graphical time line, research guide, historical maps and images.
- HeritageQuest Online Researchers use HeritageQuest to find their ancestors, trace their paths across America and learn what life was like in the areas they settled. HeritageQuest Online also contains U.S. federal census records.
and Wellness Resource Center and Alternative Health Module Use this
database to research topics in health and medicine, medications, wellness,
and alternative/ complementary therapies. Includes encyclopedias, directories,
medical dictionary, magazines, journals, and newspapers
- ¡Informe! (Revistas en Español) 1998 - Current. Investiga las noticias y eventos más corrientes, la información de negocios del momento, los artículos de salud más importantes, temas de cultura popular y muchas otras materias incluidas en las revistas hispánicas más populares. Spanish Language database. Search in Spanish or English
- InfoTrac Junior Edition
- LegalTrac - Students, law school faculty and legal researchers will all find the legal publications they need in LegalTrac™. Drawing on a wide variety of the most highly regarded legal publications, LegalTrac™ provides indexing for approximately 875 titles including major law reviews, legal newspapers, bar association journals and international legal journals.
- Medline Plus - Fantastic database full of important local information. Includes Connecticut 211 Community Resources Directory, Consumer Health Information, and Connecticut Physician Profiles.
- Powersearch 1980 - Current Search humanities, education, business, science,
current events, art, politics, economics, social science, law, health
care, computers, technology, environmental issues, and general interest
- Recursos para el público - iCONN menu in Spanish
- Science Resource Center - Focuses on key concepts taught in school classrooms including biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, math, environmental science, life science, medicine, space science, computer science, technology, history of science, science and society, science as inquiry, science-related biographies and more. Thousands of articles from full-text academic journals, science-related magazines and newspapers, multimedia records including pictures, illustrations, and audio and video clips, links to 500 Web sites chosen for their relevancy to the curriculum, a time line covering science subjects from antiquity to today, and content Level indicators to help students choose articles that meet their needs.